Saturday, January 08, 2005

Good intentions, break even outcomes

I really like my apartment. In addition to having 2 stories and 12 kitchen drawers for roughly the same amount I had paid for 1 story, wretched carpet, and 2 kitchen drawers, our new landlord is a welcome change from the miserable, unpleasantly plump woman who was always clad in brown and never took a break from her chain smoking to grumble something incomprehensible about how she wasn't going to help me. The old building manager really didn't care whether or not the kitchen sink was backed up and it was the third time we called and now it's Friday at 5pm and THAT'S why I'm calling the emergency line. Gladys, on the other hand, is attentive and generous to a fault (the fault being the part where she might let herself and workpeople in to our apartment unannounced. . . when we're home). An octogenarian Chinese woman who lives in the apartment above us with her 2 grown daughters, Gladys does care if our sink is backed up -- and she even cares on Tuesday at 2, the first time we call. One day last week I found myself particulary grateful for her attentiveness when a note on the front door let me know that although she was still looking for a part to repair the downstairs sink, a light fixture had been replaced and the holes in our upstairs closets that the hunky Australian electrician made when he installed new fire alarms were patched. Giddy with delight and gratitude, I ran upstairs to pen Gladys a quick note for her conscientiousness. I retreive the stationery from the closest and notice, what's this? Sheetrock powder all of over my clothes hanging innocently (and orderly too-- by sleeve, then color) in my closet! On one hand I am genuinely grateful that problems are addressed with some haste. On the other hand, I think it's fair to insist that any persons (hunky, cute accent or no) who enter my place o' dwelling while I'm out not soil my clothes. Do I thank Gladys for her good intentions (despite shoddy execution) or do I complain about my clothes having been violated in my absence? Perhaps I'll do neither and call it even.

If anyone was planning on travelling to Seattle soon, come visit me in LA instead. It rained most of last week and is supposed to KEEP raining for the next four days! It's great weather for reading books, watching movies, and taking naps, but not as conducive to running and getting stuff done which I kind of like too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH SHIT! WHAT'S THIS? Kelly done got herself a blog. Here's to more of my time wasted online. But not the time spent reading about the minutiae of your life. That's time well spent.

Steven

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home