Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Scattered showers for the preoccupied mind

Today was the second day of The Return of the Delicious Southern California Sunshine. People here (who are from other places, so 78% of the people here) always talk about how people in LA freak out when it rains. They can't drive in it, they complain, etc. I think people might have been in a state shock after the sun had come back because when I left school at 6:15 -- EVERYONE in LA was in their car. Cars for miles! In every direction! The 25 minute busride home took an hour and a half. Luckily I had some dry statistics reading and a Scissor Sisters CD in my bag. The time didn't fly by, but it was cool to actually meet my reading goal for the night by the time I got home.

Lately the healthiness of my mental state has been hinging on the prognosis of the data for my master's project I finished last month. I should've designed my study slightly differently than I did -- and my advisor should've noticed when I proposed it to her. She was having a baby. I didn't realize what my design would mean for my analyses. So the last few days have found me either (a) agonizing over why I did it the way I did, (b) wondering if I should spend my Spring Break running a new study, or (c) reviewing the reasons why people may not to throw rocks at me when I have to present this research to the department in the Spring. I really hate that I'm in constant flux about something that won't matter very much a year from now and about something that's not life-threatening (even if potentially ego-threatening.) This afternoon my advisor emailed me that she may have a "solution" to our analyses program -- if so that means we can submit this paper in two weeks, I can look less stupid in the upcoming occasions in which I'll have to talk about it, and I'll have certainly learned my lesson about getting second opinions and about knowing what I'll do with the numbers (and what I can say with them) once I get them.

Today I found an old folder and noticed that the first 2 of the 3 numbers from my Southwestern mailbox combination were the same as the first 2 numbers in my current locker combination at the UCLA gym.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home