Thursday, January 13, 2005

Meat, bones, in no particular order

A few of my nearest and dearest give me a hard time for all of my 'floating tumors' and all-but-diagnosed (but thoroughly researched online) cancers. The latest of which (by that I mean, this week -- as opposed to the odd ailments during the break) were (a) a potential insect bite on my eyelid that wasn't going away and (b) pain in my left foot --it's been sort of like having a rock in my shoe, but inside my foot instead. Because the foot thing was interfering with walking, I went to the doctor today. At first I was pissed because filling in for my doctor was this doctor I really dislike and have written a scathing complaint to the Health Center about. [An aside, her name is Dr. Axe -- and she sucks. Coincidence? I think not.] Nonetheless, I felt validated in (a) not chickening out of telling her my weird symptoms and (b) getting not one, but TWO honest-to-goodness diagnoses! Apparently I have a clogged up gland (a sty -- so sexy, I know) and some extra bones in my feet that are inflamed. Should it be alarming that these are the "good news" pieces of my day?

Drudging up some moderately exciting news from last weekend -- I have renounced my skepticism of grill-it-yourself restaurants. Until now I've never understood why anyone would change out of their 3-day old sweats, shower, and find parking only to pay someone ELSE 15% extra for the food you cook yourself. I had always thought I was paying them to carry the burden of potentially screw up my dinner. Last Friday night, I sat corrected. Cooking your own dinner is fun! And tasty! The responsibility index was much lower than I expected. The portions of meat (sorry vegetarians, you'll definitely want to stay away -- you'll leave hungry and perhaps disgusted) are very small so you only grill them for a minute or so. This also facilitates giving a person second, third, or seventh chances to perfect her grilling technique. It's also surprisingly inexpensive. To make the deal even more sweet, as if it were possible, they have happy hour for several hours during the week. Happy hour is my second favorite thing in the world, so I'm pretty much in love with Gyu-Kaku and think everyone in Los Angeles should eat there (there are two, Beverly Hills & WLA). And if you don't live in LA, I think you should feel a tiny bit envious-- at least for a little bit.

I almost forgot. When I got home the new
Arcade Fire cd was waiting for me. This news is a close second to the morning's x-ray and eye-poking excitement.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

like whoa kelley, this is your lil in fw...from one future healthcare provider to another im happy to see you take good care of yourself and "pay attention" to your body

5:51 PM  
Blogger workingmemory said...

woo hoo gyu kaku!

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home