Monday, January 17, 2005

Nerdfame, Part II: Stalking is a form of flattery

In addition to being elitist and cynical, I'm a gushing evangelist for things I have recently encountered and love. Over the years this has included notables such as Craigslist, Heifer Project International, Alaska, Out of the Closet Thrift Store, Queer as Folk, and Frontier House. Books are frequently on the short list for things I'm peddling. The summer before last that book was Julia Glass' first novel Three Junes. It was the first book I absolutely loved in a long, long time. Hoping to find her agent, I got to googling Ms. Glass and eventually came up with her home address in New York. I penned her an effusive note about her great book. She found a hardcover consumer for life when she wrote me back-- in blue marker!

This summer I read Discovering Statistics: SPSS for Windows by Andy Field. It's a funny little book about an unfunny statistical package for social sciences. It's really thorough and explains complicated things simply, with clear acknowledgement that the reader would rather be at the beach than in front of a computer screen. So this summer found me telling anyone who would listen to buy this book for themselves or for their Research Assistants. As a familiar feeling of gratitude began to well up inside, I googled the (young and British) Dr. Field so I could email him about his delightful book. Guess what, readers -- Andy Field is not your average measurement expert and research psychologist -- Andy Field is hot! Let this be a lesson to anyone considering graduate studies in psychology -- don't underestimate the benefits of getting your graduate training abroad, at, oh, say the University of Sussex at Brighton... Anyway, I emailed him a typical gushing email about loving his book. He sent a gracious reply thanking me for the positive feedback. The best part was when he said my email was "lovely" -- surely this could ensure a good mood for at least 16 hours, no?

4 Comments:

Blogger workingmemory said...

lovely!

how much do i love your blog? you are like totally being a serious blogger with this. you inspire me to recommend more things. that guy is pretty cute, he looks like he should be at a 'football' game right about now. you should see if he gives private SPSS lessons because i still don't know how to work that fucking program for the life of me. the higher-ups were a little nonplussed when i presented them with a repeated-measures ANOVA done by hand in excel. "like, uh, okay... but can you just do it in SPSS?"

2:18 AM  
Blogger gena said...

what a lovely blog you have! how funny that you mention ms. glass' novel. i spent yesterday afternoon in my office taking an extra long lunch to read three junes. :)

7:51 AM  
Blogger timothy said...

I don't recall ever reading a more entertaining article about SPSS. You make even the boring and mundane fun!

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, you have a lot of blog fans already. I just wanted to chime in to say that I, too, loved Three Junes. She can write the pants off of Judith Kranz, that's for sure. I need to get that Field book to read during stats class.
...Darby

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home