Tuesday, March 01, 2005

And all without a single right-click.

So tonight I'm working on a presentation I have to give Thursday about 2 studies I'm proposing. Of course I've put off the "What words am I actually going to say?" part off the longest, just after the "How do I insert tables?' and "Now why is this important again?" parts.

In class last quarter I remember glancing at Shelley Taylor's (arguably the matriarch of Social Psychology) lecture notes with amusement when I noticed they were type-writer derived prose, cut and Scotch taped to white paper, with a separate manilla file for each lecture. I remember having read old 'how to write well' articles about editing your work with actual scissors and glue as opposed to those little icons at the top of the toolbar (Did anyone ever employ an actual clipboard during this process?), but I never really imagined I'd use this strategy. Alas - I had pondered too soon. Given that I've already written two super long papers about the presentation I'm giving, I decided it was time to bring out the green-handled safety scissors and get to work. I just cut up relevant parts of the paper and taped them to the powerpoint notes. (I think my use of highlighter accents were especially inspired.) This was surprisingly refreshing and fun. You know how good it feels when you delete extraneous words off the screen? Imagine the joy in cutting those little bastards right out of the page.

So anyway, most of the talk is prepared now -- academic ransom note style.


3 Comments:

Blogger workingmemory said...

GOOD LUCK! kim and i are going to happy hour thursday at around 6 if you'd like to join :)

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, turned to the scissors. I am impressed. What are your studies about?

6:23 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

The studies I presented were about how people feel about resources allocated to fighting AIDS in America, as a function of some things about themselves, as well as about how the problem is framed. The idea is that people allocate resources differently and usually the people who are worse off get screwed the most, but depending on how messages are framed, there's some room for changing this.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home