Sunday, February 20, 2005

Slothfulness isn't even my favorite deadly sin.

It's raining again. A lot. Southern California is supposed to be the land of sunshine, not that of perpetual precipitation and rising water -- I got my fill of that in Southeast Texas. I think the news reporters are pissed too. They all stand in the rain all day to tell us that it's raining. This is not what they signed up for either.

In an effort to get some shit done, I started the day off with an impressive bout of industriousness. By 1pm I had already shopped for groceries, gone for a run, and washed some clothes. Then I tackled about 18 minutes of work before settling down on the couch to nullify all of the morning's productivity.

First I watched a DVD that's been sitting around for almost a week. Rabbit Proof Fence follows three girls on their 1500 mile trek across the Australian desert back to their village after they escape from a governmental 'training facility' designed to Anglicize children who are 'half-caste' (half Aborigine, half white). From 1900 to 1971 the Australian government removed 'half-caste' children from their Aboriginal villages in an attempt to 'breed the Aborigine out of them.' Far from the 'feel good movie of the year,' this makes one wonder if, by any chance, governments might sometimes cite good intentions or historical precedent when they say, imperialize other nations or restrict human rights.

Next I alternated between reading The Sound and the Fury and falling asleep until it was time for the cartoons to start: two King of the Hills, two Simpsons, and one Family guy. I feel like that lady whose skin became fused with her couch.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that link about the lady stuck to her couch. It made me laugh and then I felt bad. That is kind of like telling a dead baby joke. The purpose is not to cause laughter, but discomfort. Not profound, but oh well... King of the Hill, woohoo!

3:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Matt. The lady stuck to the couch was horrifying. I threw up a little in my mouth. I am also coming out against dead baby jokes. Unless the dead baby in question is the Baby Jesus. In that case it's chuckles all around.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home