Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Vive la Resistance!

I'm currently struggling with the appropriate extent to which I should complain about all things Franz Hall (i.e., school) in this venue. Only a choice few Franzsters read this, but you never know -- there may exist even better and more neurotic webstalkers than me. . .

So for now I'll say that my most recent gripe is when people take a perfectly sexy discipline, say, Social Psychology, and make it so fucking boring that I want to stick pencils in my eyes. Really, cool stuff can happen here-- social psych is the study of people's behavior in the actual, imagined, or implied presence of others -- who isn't riveted? Well, for starters me when people want to take the study of BEHAVIOR, that's INTERESTING, and turn it into a snoozefest about which old, stuffy geezer's model about how behavior might/could/possibly/during the third phase of the new moon work.




I felt themes of this complaint creeping into my meeting with my advisor today. Well, listen up, readers. I am going to fight the boring filter that seems to plague so many of my colleagues' research. I will not be drown in irrelevant rhetoric! I will study behavior! Actions! Verbs!


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Props go out to you for incorporating a picture into your post for readers that are visually oriented. I would have been more partial to the image if it had incorporated an unruly Calvin facsimile pissing on something to indicate disdain. Aren't those HILARIOUS?

-Pederast

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly,

This is your advisor. In the future, I'd appreciate it if you addressed these concerns with me personally, rather than in a public forum.

2:29 PM  
Blogger workingmemory said...

JK!
gotcha.

p.s. if you really want a snoozefest, try structural equation modeling. ugh..

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home