Tuesday, February 01, 2005

That's not my good side.

When you sign up for a locker or a class at the Wooden Center (the UCLA gym), you have to sign under the small print. In addition to the standard, "don't blame us if you die," clause, there's something about how you can be photographed at any time and this can come back to haunt you in the form of promotional material. I gave this some thought briefly last week when I noticed an unflattering poster-size photo of some guy climbing the rock wall.

Every Tuesday afternoon I spend a couple of hours in a ballet class at the Wooden Center. I take this class because I like how the teacher Sukka (a.k.a. "Kim" in her former life) tells us to stand through our strong, powerful legs, feel the earth beneath us, blah, blah, blah. I also think it might help me have better posture. I do not take this class in hopes of getting 'discovered' as the next recreation department brochure cover model. Surely you see where this is going, right? Yep, I show up to class today and what is happening but some dude in a navy polo shirt is snapping away with his big camera, complete with neck strap. Before class he mostly takes pictures of the lone guy in the class who very enthusiastically models all his favorite poses. Once class begins he gets some 'artsy' shots of the synchronous bar exercises. Okay, during ballet class I mostly think about 2 things, in this order: (1) is my underwear showing over the top of my dance pants and (2) what are we supposed to do next again? The addition of a camera ups the ante a little bit. How can I ever get any respect from my professors or my students if my underpants greet them every time they work out?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home