Friday, January 21, 2005

Productivity schmoductivity

I cancelled my good productivity intentions tonight to go see A love song for Bobby Long. I had seen the preview just after the new year and by all indications it looked as if Bobby wasn't long meant for theaters -- I think it just opened five days ago and today's LA Weekly didn't have it listed for this weekend. I was all set to go to the 9:50 show until my roommate mentioned that tonight was the first episode of the Street Smart v. Book Smart showdown on The Apprentice. Tough call. I went downstairs to assess the situation. As my roommate wisely imparted, "With The Apprentice, you're guaranteed to get really excited about it and it's guaranteed to be not as good as you'd hoped. It may even leave you feeling a little empty inside." I've watched enough Apprentice to know that this woman spoke the truth -- eighteen minutes later and $10 lighter I was snuggling into my seat at The Westside Pavilion, which may be my favorite place to see movies because of the convenient rooftop parking -- much preferred over the subterranean variety.

Bobby Long -- I liked it. I have a thing for movies that are just depressing enough to be thoughtful and compelling without making me reexamine my life. This movie was enjoyable, but it won't change your life, unless you're an alcoholic squatting in a dead person's home -- but no promises. I wouldn't even characterize John Travolta's performance as Bobby Long annoying. Scarlett Johansson and Gabriel Macht were the other leads. Gabriel Macht looks like Peter Krause. I have a special place in my heart for Peter Krause and all men who look like him, so this was a good thing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was able to bypass the "Shitty Apprentice v. Sticky Theater Floor" debacle entirely by sleeping from 7 'til midnite, waking only to call Claire and then apoligize for needing to hang up and return to my slumbers. Productivity is for America Haters and people slumming it in "outposts of tyranny".

-Steven

By the by, Blogger forcing me to comment anonymously b'c I'm not a member of some exclusive blogging community makes me feel like the guy who has to register with some local government office when he moves to a new community JUST BECAUSE he showed his cock to some school children way back in the 80s.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home