Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Now that you mention Oedipus. . .

Because I'm supposed to be "busy," "preparing a presentation," here's a little something I learned in my early days in LA way back in the summer of 2003. It was the first (and actually only) time I've gone out with someone who (a) I didn't meet through some common friend or pathetically contrived medium and (b) asked me out in a library.

A sign your 30-year-old date might not be individuated from his mother:

Kelly: "You and your mom went to a picnic last weekend? I thought you were from Michigan?"

Date in non-ironic sportcoat and loafers: "Yeah, well my mom moved out here after she retired, now she manages apartments. We were at her complex picnic."

Kelly: "Really? Your mom moved out here for you?"

Sportcoat/Loafers: "Yeah. I'm an only child."

Next, please! *


*Many other factors contributed to making this date very, very painful. It wasn't just the mom thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Hahahaha...

While I've been reading Gig I keep on thinking in the back on my mind that I would love to do an interview like that, and get it published. Of course I'm a giant slacker, and I doubt people would give much consideration to an out-of-work writer, but who knows.

I've asked a girl out in a library before... it ended up being lame, I think next time if I do that I'll make sure I pay attention to the book she is reading or checking out.

11:03 PM  
Blogger timothy said...

No one mentioned Oedipus... you mentioned Oedipus!

Are sportcoats and loafers acceptable dating attire. If so I've been doing it all wrong. My rule is if a sportscoat is to be worn, follow it up with a more casual shoe than a loafer; athletic shoes or the like. The coat says "I can be serious and a hard worker" the shoes say, "I'm a lot of fun in the sack"

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you've struck him from the list if he'd been wearing a stained sweater that is stretched and, therefore, not that flattering to his increasingly doughy figure. And if he'd've been reading "Mein Kampf". Oh, and maybe just a little a little intoxicated!

TOO BAD! HE'S TAKEN!

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home