Saturday, January 29, 2005

That's HFL to you.


Yesterday afternoon the groupie and I met another friend for happy hour in Santa Monica. We went to Sonny Maclean's, an Irish pub we'd never been before that had about 20 beers on tap and pitchers on sale at happy hour. I love happy hour!! the groupie mentioned that her friends' band The Adored were playing downtown at this all ages warehouse venue called The Smell. Having never gone to an indie rock show when I was 14, I decided it was high time I caught up. Luckily, we're both college graduates, so we were able to park in this space with 5 different parking restrictions signs with some confidence that my car would be waiting in that space upon our return rather than in a tow lot. Walking toward The Smell (downtown is not a happening place in LA, so it's pretty desolate aside from the people sleeping on the street), we pass the entrance to another club where a few men outside catcall and whatnot in an effort to entice us to hang around and chat, give them sexual favors. .. it's not really clear to me. After we had passed one of these men calls out the best thing I've ever heard, "I love high-fashion lesbians!" Classic. Although I was pursued by a woman once, she did not mistake me for being high-fashion.

A close second to the HFL attribution was when we got a drink in a Mexican bar around the corner from the club (which serves no drinks at all-- alcoholic or not). We attracted a bit of attention from the guy next to us at the bar, but the bar tender quickly told him "no molestar" and he left us alone. Later, this old man who had been asking me to dance says to me, "Quieres Mexicano?" and I'm like, "Do I want a Mexican? What kind of question is that?" Then he starts getting out all of this cash and showing it to me. He's trying to pay me for sex! Did the word on the street not make it into the bar? A high-fashion lesbian is far from a geriatric prostitute. The bartender actually took this man's hall-full Corona away and had someone throw him out of the bar! I guess she was aware that a high-fashion lesbian like myself would have none of this.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, are you a lesbian or not?

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly, don't go to the darkside now. I know men propositioning you for sex doesn't help. But remember, there are good guys out there that know the classy thing to do is to purchase jewelry for sex. Duh!

6:08 PM  
Blogger workingmemory said...

no molestar! ha ha ha.

a good night overall, despite all my lapses in judgment. hey have you seen my sunglasses? i am going totally insane because i can't find them.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home