Monday, January 31, 2005

Keeping tabs on the cool kids

Lately I've encountered several cases of really smart people who unabashedly keep up with celebrity gossip. (As one example, Paul Farmer, M.D., PhD,/MacArthur award recipient/ super public health guru/Harvard medical school faculty/TB expert reads People, referring to it as JPS, Journal of Popular Studies). In my constant quest to (a) actually become smarter or (b) fool people so they'll think I'm smart, I copy stuff I see smart people doing.

So when I stopped at Savon on the way home tonight, I decided it was time to let US Weekly fill me on the question we're all grappling with: "Did Brad Cheat? Hot new details of what really happened with Angelina-- and how it broke Jen's heart." I got my $4 worth of celebrity drivel. Who knew that US Weekly would not only have pictures of the not-so-happy couple the very day before (! gasp!) they announced their split, but that an entire page would be devoted to other celebrities' reactions to it? My favorite picture is of Nicole Hilton and pals at an afterparty for the Golden Globes. All of these people have their cell phones/pda/Blackberries on the table in front of them. Who exactly is going to call with a better offer?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the longest time, I'd never heard the name of the magazine used in conversation. I just assumed it was U.S. Weekly and that seemed like a fitting title, what with its mindless minutiae and nattering nincompoopery. Upon finding out that it was in fact US Weekly, as in YOU AN I Weekly, I was shocked and more than a little angry. When will the stalkarazzi stop disparaging my character? Yours too!

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home