Monday, February 21, 2005

Speaking my language


This weekend one of my BFFs got engaged. Of course I had a few questions. For one, I wondered what it felt like, as opposed to what she had predicted it would feel like. She confirmed that it is not unlike finding out that being 9 years old doesn't feel quite as different as being 8 years old did has you had anticipated. But when you turn 9 you eat cake and open presents -- she gets to plan her own party and is thinking about real estate. When I turned 9 I still bunked in a twin bed at my parents' house just like when I was 8.

So after lots of talk about what it was like, was she excited, where did they think they'd get married, what did her parents say, I asked her about the ring. Let me forewarn you that people who are get engaged -- at least those of the anticipatory engagement vareity-- develop a whole new lexicon surrounding engagement rings.

Me: So what's the ring like?
newly engaged BFF: Well, it's cathedral set. . .
Me: Wait, what does that mean?
n.e. BFF: So you know how most soltaires. . .
Me: Um, is it kinda like the Olympic medal ceremony podium is holding up the diamond?
n.e. BFF: Well. . . Maybe you could think of it that way. It's more like. . .
Me: What shape is the actual stone?
n.e. BFF: It's princess cut.
Me: Is that like a rectangle?
n.e. BFF: Er -- a square.

I see what the diamont industry is up to. Who'd want to marry anyone who'd drop a few grand on a square-shaped jewel mounted on top of the Olympic medal podium?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home