Monday, April 04, 2005

Puberty on ice.

After I got back in town at the end of last week, I finally managed to twist enough elbows to pay a visit to the Culver City Ice Arena. It was TOTALLY AWESOME! Well, for one, it was fun to ice skate, even though the rental skates* are brown and are of course totally crappy. In addition to reliving the glory days of fulfilling a physical education requirement at SU by taking figure skating from Michelle Bacon** at Chaparral Ice in Round Rock, the people-watching was unbeatable. I kept wishing I was doing some study on adolescents because I just know I could've bribed them with Dove ice cream bars and they would've happily completed my survey. . . Even though I didn't come of age in an ice rink like these kids were doing, we did have a rollerskating rink in Liberty and I was in middle school for 3 years, so I know young teen drama when I see it. Girls busied themselves with exchanging really important information with each other as they did laps around the rink in the outfits they'd been thinking about all day. Some kids tried on new grown up things, like swearing. I heard them shout to one other, "Hey, what the fupshh . . . " more than once. I think they were almost brave enough. . .

When I was leaving I saw a flier to get 10 ice skating lessons (and a couple of free admissions each week) for $100. I think I may do it this summer.

*Before my little sister was born and my mom still thought that "good moms" stayed home with their kids, we used to drive to this roller rink in this town 20 minutes away all the time to skate. I would always ask for the white skates with the rainbow that this other girl wore, but my mom told me that the rink must run out of them before we get there. And seven years later I found out the truth about Santa Claus, too.

**Michelle Bacon was hilarious in that "persons who take themselves way too seriously" sort of way. We had written and performance mid terms and final exams. She was totally into this other skater Jacque who came to visit for a while, even though he was about 10 years younger, and 2 tiers cooler, than her.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

I never really got into any skating, be it roller or ice. I’m already too awkward on my two feet, so I think the addition of wheels or blades under them would just be a receipt for disaster.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Hahaha I can't spell... that would be recipe not receipt...

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home