Tuesday, October 25, 2005

$300 car wash

About a year ago I happened upon what appeared to be a bunch of synthetic blonde hair stuffed in the tailpipe of my car. It was weird, but it was proximate to Halloween and followed on the heels of a late night karaoke binge in Koreatown. I chalked it up to a harmless cult initiation ritual and forgot about it.

Until last weekend. The culprit was back, only now she'd gone gray. My muffler was unraveling on the inside. Now, if you're my parents (but you're not, because if you were, you'd still be calling it a 'blob'), you'd say, "Well, Kelly, did you just get a new muffler just last year?" "Yes,", I'd reply, "I did just get a new muffler last year. You may not be aware however, that my car has two mufflers." I never knew this until this morning. Although it's never delightful to hand over my Visa at Santa Monica Volvo/Saab, noticing that my previously dirt and tree debris encrusted car was gleaming at me from the parking lot certainly put a little pep in my step. I have no idea why a $16 car wash makes up for a $300 repair, but I do know that I'll always give the repair shop plenty of extra time for my dirty car to sit on their lot - just in case they get any ideas.




I ate this banana today - it was enormous.



Tonight I saw a screening of New York Doll, a documentary about New York Dolls bassist Arthur Kane. If you live in LA or New York where this movie opens this weekend, go see it! Well done by a Mormon filmmaker who met Kane at church.

On the way to the screening I took a wrong turn and drove down a mostly deserted street in West Hollywood. I noticed a random strobe light type distraction outside a building. It wasn't a strobe light, but a small mob of paparazzi leaping and bounding around in their black t-shirts and big cameras to photograph a pink-hoodied celebrity getting into her silver Landrover. For my I've-already-seen-too-many-paparrazzi-photos-of-her-car-on-Defamer money, it was Jennifer Aniston. But geez - totally uncivilized and off-putting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home