Tuesday, June 07, 2005

It was a Monday after all.

Yesterday morning got off to a stellar start. I woke up before my alarm, only hit snooze once, and caught the 8:17 bus to school. Books and papers commensurate with my expectations for weekend productivity had come home with me on Friday. They had to go back on Monday. In addition to the regular book bag, I brought an extra gym/lunch/APA manual bag. All was well on the bus ride to campus. About three-fourths of the way there, the multi-purpose tote falls over. Looking up from the paper draft I'm editing, I see an apple I had tried to convince myself I would eat and a yogurt tumble out. The yogurt landed squarely on its top on a step dividing the back and front of the bus. The apple, however, rolled around near the back door of the bus. I grabbed the yogurt but the apple was out of my reach. I heard it's thudding around for what seemed like 30 minutes before I lost track of it. "There goes your breakfast," said this lady as she stepped out of the bus. It wasn't my breakfast, it was my lunch.

Part of me what happy to be off the hook for eating an apple I bought a week ago. I loathe mealy apples and am a skeptical apple-eater. The other 94% of me was mortified about the great lunch escape and considered getting off the bus and starting fresh with people who hadn't been interrupted from their papers by a potentially mealy apple.

This experience captures the rest of my day - mostly good with some unpredictable and mildly disturbing fruit escapage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home