Sunday, May 22, 2005

This shouldn't cause deadly rioting.

I read the following in Newsweek, but I don't think they'll have to retract it and answer for dozens of deaths in the Middle East (um, by the way, isn't a retraction kind of a moot point? Regardless of the veracity of the piece what exactly does "Oh, we take it back now" accomplish?):

"I'm proud of shows like "Baywatch" and "Knight Rider" because it's about saving lives, not taking lives. It's entertainment, it's tongue in cheek, it brings the world together. I think it's responsible for a lot of world peace."
---David Hasselhoff, on his artistic legacy, while
accepting the Bollywood Movie Award for interational
star of the year.


Wow.

In other news I ran in the UCLA Mattel Children's Hospital fun run this morning. As expected, my favorite part was Topher Grace being the celebrity host. Also as expected, it wasn't a superb Topher Grace moment because, like any celebrity hosting gig, the job is pretty cheesy & scripted. I forgot I had signed up for the run until last night. I had to wear 3rd tier socks-- after "tall" athletic socks went out of style in the late 90s in favor of the ankle variety, I cut off the tops of all my hangers-on tall socks. I sported a pair of these custom jobs this morning. Fancy.


Tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 I'm giving a talk on my master's thesis to the whole Social area. I feel pretty good about my half of the deal -- I'm just nervous about the questions from the audience, especially those from professors who study very different things and want to know how everything relates to their pet paradigm.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

The Oasis is the restaurant that overlooks Lake Travis in Austin.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home