Friday, May 06, 2005

More thoughts on contrived dating*

I recently posted about my first internet dating experience. Really, I think a large part of my dating experiences rely heavily on the internet, regardless of where I meet the guy (i.e., planning dates & webstalking).

About 18 months ago I went on a Hurry Date. Yep, yours truly paid clever people upwards of $30 to have not 1, but 20 awkward encounters in an hour! The speed date itself was quite enjoyable, if you're into that kind of friendly-acquaintance-challenge like I am. It's kind of like Greek recruitment except that you don't know their SAT scores beforehand.



Being a semipro friendly-acquaintance, I'm not good at withholding the charm from people I don't like/feel bad for. About 1 minute into my 3 minute date with Oscar he tells me, "Ahh - do you feel something like very special thing happen now? Like very strong connection?" Begin serious backpeddaling on my part.

Although the age range was from 21 - 29, some old (relatively) pervs snuck in. I met one of them for coffee the following week. I don't know why, I felt obligated because he was in the upper, reasonably-okay portion of my Hurry Date distribution.




Let's just say Helmut was throwing his A-game at the Hurry Date and the dim lighting had been working in his favor. Which, I might add, wasn't the first time I've been burned by that-- and both with people over 30! Public service (also gender stereotypic) announcment: If you're a dude on a date with a girl and you're talking about video games, chances are she wishes you weren't. If she says something like, "Yeah, that's just a whole differnet world I guess," PLEASE understand that she's talking about the gaming world, NOT expressing interest in the "worlds" of the video games you play. Do not, under any circumstances, describe these to her.


*I don't endorse it, but apparently I forget this about every 6 months or so when I'm between psuedo relationships.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

I always though that the so-called "speed dating" would be a laugh riot to participate in, but then again I am not one for making first impressions. But I still think it would be fun for a laugh and a story.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home