Thursday, May 05, 2005

Things overheard.

I can't believe I haven't written anything since APRIL!! May is my favorite month-- what am I thinking? Well, maybe I'm too poor to think, given I'm still stuck in bureaucratic purgatory, where all irreverent people who get pissed off at "the system" with it's "careful calculations" of how much of your fellowship you're entitled to keep have to go.

This is unfortunate because my birthday's coming up and I want to be in a good mood for it. And also I don't want to be poor for it.

Some asinine things I've overheard lately:

1. From a woman in this super remedial (but somehow still 'graduate') stats class I'm taking (I know, I know, pot/kettle. I've taken the same class taught 17Xs faster last year, but don't remember anything, so I figure this is better than nothing and besides, it makes me feel smart to be around these people who provoke me to insert pencils into my eyeballs out of boredom):

"Ummm...I was wondering. . . Is it possible to just understand the concept?"

2. From this dude on the bus one day who I originally mistook for a graduate student by his conversation w/ a woman about her dissertation, but turned out to be a 'returning student' who really isn't that old (i.e., he's 28 instead of 37). He was complaining about this TA (I think for a literature class) that he finds totally incompetent. Finally getting to the 'meat' of his argument, he says, "So in the margin she wrote, "Why so vague?" It wasn't vague! It was subtle!!"

Hooray for iPODs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home