Thursday, April 21, 2005

Trainwrecks: metaphorical and otherwise.

I've never been one give credence to omens, but today could've been the day to convert me. I'm making the usual morning walk - it's a bright sunny day and I'm listening to some tunes on my iPod as I walk down Bundy to catch my usual #2 Big Blue Bus to school. I get to the crosswalk and see that the orange hand is flashing-- taunting, rather than reassuring me to cross. The light is a long one, but I confirm that all the cars are staying in their places before I cross. There's a black BMW in the crosswalk, but it's stationery. As I'm crossing, I become aware of a huge, metallic, black mass that is moving toward me, yep, "Oh, my God, it's finally happening," I think as I realize I am now learning what's it's like to be hit by a car. I beat on the hood to get the driver's attention. The front right tire kind of grabs me and spins me away from the car and toward the ground. By the time I'm upright and turned around, the driver is stopped, looking out from behind the mafia-grade tinted windows with what I expect is his most genuine, "Oh shit, what now?" face. I just wave him on. All I needed was for him to stop running over me. Of course by this time the orange hand is sternly still and I'm in the middle of the street and have to dash out of the way of an oncoming red Jeep.

No one at school had a camera, so I had to wait until I came home to tutor to capture the treadmarks. I was glad I had a skirt on and didn't have to get pants drycleaned. I checked the Craigslist Missed Connections to see if anyone had posted something to the woman they ran over with offers of presents or other delightful treats, but no luck as of noon today.

.

Too bad that wasn't the worst thing that happened today. It turns out that I either reported my income from last year twice on my FAFSA or I'm getting totally screwed out of my fellowship by UCLA-- neither options are good and both are nausea inducing, but I'm going in tomorrow to pitch my case and at least get a figure that lets me sleep over the weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Ugh, that is not what I call a good day. I was hit by a car once (well grazed is more like it) while I was biking one afternoon in Georgetown. It was pretty messed up, because the guy didn't even look back he just drove off (and drove off fast at that). Luckily for me the only visible would was where that little jutting piece of metal near the brakes went deep into my leg...

11:11 AM  
Blogger Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Kelly-
Glad to see you survived. Quite scary, though. Can't say that I've been hit by a car (except while I was in my car) but I can imagine how your life sort of flashes before you. Don't let the flashing hand taunt you again!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home