Thursday, September 08, 2005

Dog tales.

I'm dogsitting today. In addition to washing the things in the very bottom of my laundry basket and blowing my nose on real Kleenex instead of toilet paper, I've been thinking a little about MY-MOST-TERRIFYING-DOGSITTING-EXPERIENCE-EVER.

I was studying abroad in Spain and this girl at the gym noticed the English on my t-shirt and hired me to read British Vogue with her to improve her English. Elisa was about 26, really hot, and a fashion design student and sometime model. Reading magazines for money was pretty fun, but she had an intimidating and sharp-fanged black Husky named Luna. Elisa complained that her gay best friend/fashion design colleague was too wimpy to dogsit for her because he was uncomfortable with the dog tampon. Yes, there are dog tampons. This came as big a shock to me at 20 after growing up with more than average animal/farm experience as it was when I was 8 and realized Heaven wasn't a physical place in a distant blackhole with a supersecret zip code that had been stumping astronauts.

It's no wonder that Elisa's friend was scared of Luna. As a fashion designer, he knew that without his hands he couldn't even stock at Zara, much less draw cutting edge designs. Because I was even more impressed by cool people then as I am now, I agreed to walk Luna when Elisa went to the south of Spain to a wedding for the weekend. It was during the "instructions" talk that she mentioned that the dog that barked ferociously every time I came over had already bitten 2 people and if it bit a 3rd, she would be required to undergo pysychological testing to see if she was purposely harboring a malicious animal.

Let's just say Luna had minimal walks over those few days. I would wear a leather jacket and gloves when I put on her leash to defray the impact of any teeth in my direction. I kept her far away from other dogs and people at the park and strollers on the sidewalk were the stuff of nightmares. In the end she didn't bite anyone and I didn't have to deal with the dog tampon.

My current dog-charge Ellie is much more low-key: she spends her days taking naps and likes to rest in the shade when we go on walks in the neighborhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home