Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Wedding Fix 2006

Last week I received an email from one of my cabinet members about the diminishing number of female peers amenable to partaking in the occasional, short-term romantic encounter (i.e., random hookups). Fittingly, I was checking my email from the hotel room where I spent several days leading up to the wedding of another one of my nearest and dearest.

Because I don't have anything especially pithy to say about the decline in the number of people I know living fast and loose, I'll tell you about the wedding. . . FANTASTIC!! Instead of the standard 3-hour affair of impersonal ceremony and small talk with people vaguely known through your date, this wedding was an intimate production: 100 guests and 5 days of fun -- fancy and meaningful.

Here's what went down at Wedding Camp:

Wednesday: The bridesmaids had the traditional 'bridesmaids' luncheon' over tapas. (At the rehearsal dinner, the generation Y assistant pastor kept asked me to repeat that phrase, giggling over the aural similaritiy with "topless." Geez. I guess it's the little things that count when you're of the cloth.)

Thursday: We moved from the bride and groom's townhouse to the hotel where all the out-of-town guests lodged. The four bridal grandparents took the bride's entire family of about 30 people (and the bridesmaids!) to dinner overlooking the city and featuring a country and western band, sawdust on the floor, a slide inside the restaurant, and a waiter named "Stretch" who hit on the bride.


Friday: All the womenfolk around the hotel had our nails done before meeting up with the rest of the guests that continued to arrive for an open house and lunch at Krista and Scott's townhouse. Then a few of us took a Martha Stewart moment to set up the centerpieces at the reception venue. The head server was intent on debating the appropriate number of tea lights per table to prevent napkin fires. Wedding rehearsal and more free food courtesy the groom's family at a local Mexican restaurant!

Saturday: We were able to get a late start before pre-wedding grooming and dressing. IMPORTANT INNOVATION: The entire bridal party and families of the couple took pictures BEFORE the ceremony. Then the wedding, by which point 70% of the attendees were familiar faces. Krista's grandfather is a retired bishop so he conducted the ceremony with the younger assistant. The reception was a good time with dancing, drinking (too much), and a sparkler send off. After all this time with the family and new friends I had met throughout the week, the reception was actually JUST LIKE the end of session dance at summer camp. I had had a great week. I hoped to keep in touch. I danced to seminal jams like SHOUT! and 2Legit2Quit.



Sunday: Unfortunately, I had to miss out on this part due to exceeding the fun (umm. . .alcohol consumption) threshold at the reception, but Krista and Scott resurfaced at the guests' hotel to join them for a late breakfast before the guests' departure.

My only problem (well, aside from the self-imposed) with the whole endeavor is that it was slated to happen only once a lifetime. Krista does have 3 siblings, so I'm putting in my bid to attend those wedding camp sessions early.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely recap of a memorable event ... Yes, I wish Krista and Scott would get married more often! It was such fun to see you ... We'll all have to do it again sometime. Perhaps I'll just go ahead and let all the other marriageable family members know that you'll happily volunteer for the next wedding party.

As for Sunday morning ... Ah, yes ... I did happen to wonder where you were ... :)

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading Curse of the Singles table, per your advise, I'm glad to see you've adopted the term cabinet member.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home